Remhoogte
Sir Thomas Cullinan
2017

R2,520.00

R420.00 per bottle
W.O Stellenbosch

88 in stock

Sweet fruited entry. Broad, plush tannins and mouthfeel with afresh acidity and a savoury liquorice spice on the finish.

Additional information

Weight 1.25 kg
Dimensions 7 × 7 × 26 cm

Wine Information

Cellar:
The grapes are hand harvested and sorted twice in the cellar. Once as bunches on a conveyor belt and then as grapes on a vibrating sorting table.
The fermentation is then allowed to occur spontaneously in 500 litre open top French oak barrels. Regular punch downs ensure optimal extraction. Malolactic fermentation takes place in 225 litre French oak barrels before maturation for 24 months in the same
barrels. 80% new oak barrels are used with the remaining 20% in second fill barrels.

6000 bottles produced.

Tasting Notes
Nose: Black current, mulberries, ripe plums, thyme and cedar.
Palate: Concentrated and intense. Sweet fruit, black cherries, plums and fruit cake with savoury notes, olives and black pepper on the entry, followed by broad, polished tannins with a medium plus acidity that leads into a finish that lasts for ages.

Winemaking

Sir Thomas Cullinan was our Great Grandfather. He founded the Cullinan Diamond mine in 1903 where the world’s largest uncut diamond (3106 carats) was found. In 1906 the diamond was presented to King Edward VII after South Africa gained its independence, it now forms part of the crown jewels.

Bordeaux varietals have been a focus since the beginning of Remhoogte Wine Estate and hence this reserve being Right Bank inspired.

Vineyards

From the highest rows of the estates 2 highest vineyards, Merlot Block 15 and Cabernet Sauvignon Block 14. The exposure of these rows to all the elements combined with the steep gradient of the slope means the vines have a very tough life and give low yields.
The bunches from these portions of these vineyards are typically light with small concentrated berries. The soil is Malmesbury shale which is the oldest soil in South Africa and one of the oldest in the world. It is a low vigour soil due to leaching over millennia with a good component of clay in the subsoil which keeps the vines going in the dry summer months.

Vintage Overview

The 2017 vintage followed an extremely dry winter in 2016. This meant the vineyards began their season with very little water available in the soil. The growth of shoots and resultant bunches were therefore limited which resulted in great quality fruit, just a lot less of it! 2017 is seen as a collector’s vintage for Stellenbosch, very similar to the highly regarded 2015 vintage.

Technical Analysis

alc rs ta ph
14.58% 2.1 g/L 5.7 g/L 3.56 g/L

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Remhoogte
Sir Thomas Cullinan
2017”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

TOP RATED WINES

WINES

CULTIVAR

VINTAGE